The Chigwell Barn is a rare surviving example of a substantial mid Victorian farm building constructed of sandstone rubble. Little is known of its early history, however, records show that by the 1840’s the Barn was part of the Lowes’ landholding, which by this time had grown to some 500 acres across what is now known as Chigwell.
The stone barn was either used for grain or as a distillery, as it was close to the Mt Faulkner Rivulet. Historians note that it was not unusual for outbuildings like the Barn to be larger than the house the family lived in around that time.
The Chigwell Barn is now owned by Glenorchy City Council and is a centre for community activities.
The Sum Of The Parts
As part of the Chigwell History Project – From Barns to Bank Houses (2005 & 2007), a group of grade 3/4 students from Mt Faulkner Primary School learnt about the history of significant buildings in the Chigwell area; Chigwell House, Chigwell Barn, Lowes Bridge, Berridale Inn and Lowestoft. The students photographed each of these buildings and their environs in order to build a picture of the details and parts that make up the ‘whole’, thereby creating a contemporary pictorial history. Photographers: Laura Telega, Tempany Jarvis, Andrew Holzinger, Noah Thorn, Danielle Stokes.