Chigwell Housing Development
Development of the Estate commenced on the 15th June 1956. First homes were occupied on the 16th February 1957.
Planning of Chigwell
“The original design provided for the development of a ‘Neighborhood’ or ‘Self-contained Town Unit’ on the assumption that 360 acres of land by the Christ College trust would be included in the land acquired. This land was situation in the center of the other areas under acquisition.”
“The proposal to acquire the 360 acres was finally abandoned. This exclusion involved a last-minute amendment of the subdivision design, although the development of the first section of the areas had already commenced.”
“The exclusion of the ‘hear’ of the Neighborhood Unit Plan divided the total area for the scheme into two sections, i.e., South Chigwell and North Chigwell.”
“Provision was made in the subdivision design of Chigwell for reserves and children’s play pots, a recreation area of 6 acres, an adjoining school site of 6 acres, an adjourning school site of 6 acres, shopping centres, land for development of community activities, and church sites.”
“The design of the Estate was also greatly influenced by the deed to make provision for the future continuation of the Northern outlet highway.”
Purchase or Rent
It has been generally accepted that not more than one-fifth of a bread-winner’s income should be expended in living accommodation.”
“It has only been possible with strictest economy and efficiency in production to produce houses at a cost that would not exceed an economic rental payment of 5 pound per week.”
“Persons whom homes are allocated on a rent-purchase basis may, if they so desire, lodge a deposit, but this is not obligatory. The purchase money is payable by monthly instalments over a period of 53 years with interest at 4.5% per annum reducible to 4% for prompt payment by a specified date. Instalments also include rates, taxes and insurance, and a charge for administration; the purchaser is liable for the proper maintenance of the dwelling. Dwellings sold under these terms may not be re-sold by the purchaser under five years from the date of the contract, nor may he obtain title to it within that period.”
It is anticipated that the total number of dwelling units will be 1,000 consisting of mostly single unit bedroom houses, the 2 bedroom semi – detached houses; also multi structures of 2 and 3 bedroom maisonettes, and 1 bedroom elderly person’s homes (EPU).
“The needs of families who would be better housed without responsibilities of garden and allotment maintenance was not overlooked; for this purpose, as well to provide a relief to the large number of single houses, some maisonette buildings were constructed, each building having from four to six dwelling units of two and three bedroom accommodation.”
“The majority of the homes are constructed in timber, while a few only are brick-veneer construction. The proportion of brick homes to the number of timber homes constructed at Chigwell was still restricted by the shortage of bricklayers and limited brick production. Tasmanian grown hardwood is abundantly available, and the use of this material as the principal structural material, has given greater expedition in construction, and cheaper building costs.”
“Early in the year 1955 the Tasmanian Government approved a proposal by the director of housing that land at Berriedale should be acquire for another large-scale housing project to meet the home-building needs of Governmental housing in Hobart for the years 1956 to 1959.”
“The land under consideration extended northwards from Collinsvale Road at Berriedale and was bounded on the east by the railway running parallel to the existing Midland highway. The areas extended to Claremont to the boundary of Faulkner’s Rivulet. To the west, the land under consideration of development also extended to Faulkner’s Rivulet.
“…although in one instance it was necessary to acquire 78 acres additional land in the same ownership, which extended across Faulkner’s Rivulet to the east.”
“The land was acquired under the authority of the Public Authorities Land Acquisition Act 1949. The total area involved was 374 acres at a cost of 106,718 pounds.”